Modified from @AFamilyFeast
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 1 hour 30 mins
Total Time: 1 hour 50 minutes
Yield: 10 servings
4 cups 2% milk
½ cup cornmeal
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
½ cup molasses
¼ cup maple syrup
¼ cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon dry ginger
¼ teaspoon allspice
pinch of nutmeg
1/2 cup golden raisins
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Spray pan with nonstick cooking spray
1/4 cup Vanilla ice cream per serving
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Beat eggs in a small bowl and set aside.
3. In a 6-quart pot, heat milk to hot, do not boil. Slowly add in cornmeal and whisk continually until all of the cornmeal is added. Cook for 10 minutes on a low simmer, stirring occasionally. Be careful that it does not stick and burn to the bottom of the pan.
4. Remove from heat and add all other ingredients except the beaten eggs. Mix to combine.
5. Temper the eggs by slowly adding some of the hot pudding a little at a time to the eggs, stirring as you go (about a cup total). Then add the egg mixture to the pot and stir.
6. Pour mixture into a 6-cup casserole dish and place the casserole dish in a water bath. Bake for about one hour and 30 minutes.
7. The pudding should be set up and somewhat firm. If the center is a bit loose, that is okay.
8. Let the pudding rest for 15 minutes, then serve hot with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.