Thursday, October 6, 2022

What happens to the people effected by Hurricane Ian

Our hearts, strength, and prayers go out to those affected by Hurricane Ian. Hold on to your loved ones and pray. The next year, if not longer, will be different and sometimes really difficult. The hardest part is finding temporary housing and then the essentials.

Hopefully, you will never have to suffer a natural disaster, but many have. All of us experience natural tragedy differently.

How do I know?

On September 24, 2021, my home in South Florida was hit by lightning and caught fire during a strong thunderstorm, nothing like Ian. My son used siri to call 911, I was sleeping. He saved my life. We lost one of our pets, Snoopy, from smoke inhalation. The house was not liveable for over 10 months.

Bless the Red Cross for finding us a place for the first few days. After that, we became dependent on the Florida insurance industry. It has been over a year, and the house is still not done.

Searching for a place was difficult. I have a son who is quadriplegia. They were going to separate us. Finally, I found a bottom-floor apartment, I knew it was not accessible, but I felt we had no choice. We lived there for 10 months. They prepared the house so my son could move back in, except for the backyard. His ramp disappeared.

The fire was in the back of the house where I was. They are still not done and I haven't slept in a bed in over a year. They say be grateful you are alive, but as the blank walls go up nothing is familiar, I find myself crying.

40 years of my career lost with the backups. 70 years of family films gone. I lost all my clothes, shoes, books, photos, lesson plans, etc. I know I didn't lose my life, but in some way, I really did. I feel lost without a purpose. 


Jake made quite a few holes in walls and doors. The people and the area were nice, but it wasn't home.

Prior to the fire, I had a thriving practice providing nutrition information for recipes and menus in books, newspapers, and magazines. I still have a semi-active Social Media presence called @DieietitianOnline (on Twitter & Facebook). I provide basic nutrition education to the consumer and educator. I love teaching farm-to-table. I do social media as a volunteer.

The construction company has made some progress, but this should have been done 6 months ago. I only ordered items in stock.

This is my house 1 year later. The project manager forgot to order a bathroom, closets, and a ramp for Jake to get out in the backyard.


Sadly, at my age, we pee a lot, and I can't make it to the other side of the house in time, so I go outside with the dogs. Maybe Lola will learn to potty train from me.
.




I've brought you up to date. I wish I could say I am doing well.  Lately, I've lost my purpose, and I pray I get it back. I love to laugh and smile and miss it.


Maybe with the New Year, we will be filled with happiness and joy.  "Shanah Tovah" “May you have a good and sweet new year.”



Thank you all for your love and support.
Sandra






Dietitian Blog List