One of the most dangerous sources of virulent bacteria, including E. coli, Salmonella, Staphylococcus and others, is the kitchen sponge and 'dish cloths' in American homes.
Ways To Clean Your Kitchen Sponge or Dish Cloth
1. Wet the sponge well and microwave it on high for about 2 minutes. Be careful a dry sponge can catch on fire.
2. Wash it in the hot cycle of your washing machine and leave them there through a drying cycle.
3. Clean the sponge and sanitize it in a diluted bleach solution (1 tablespoon of bleach added to 1 gallon of water) before using a second time.
4. Replace worn sponges rather than reusing.
5. Avoid using your kitchen sponge to wipe up raw eggs, meat juice and other food items typically high in harmful bacteria. If you do use your sponge for such purposes, wash and disinfect it immediately afterward.
6. Clean your sponge after each use.
Eat Right. Dos and Don'ts of Kitchen Sponge SafetyHome Food Safety. How Safe is Your Kitchen?