The fried green tomatoes in Alabama are legendary in their own right, and hundreds of slices are dished out daily throughout the state. Other popular foods include fried catfish, country fried steak, fried dill pickles, fried okra, fried chicken, and fried apple pies.
The fried green tomatoes in Alabama are legendary.
Fried Green Tomatoesyields::6 servings
½ cup yellow cornmeal
1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
2. Combine cornmeal, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Dredge tomato slices in cornmeal.
3. Brush 1½ teaspoons oil over the bottom of a 12-inch cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet.
4. Heat skillet over medium-high heat until very hot.
5. Add half the tomato slices to the skillet in a single layer and cook until browned on one side, about 3 minutes.
6. Turn slices over and transfer skillet to oven.
7. Bake tomatoes for 9 minutes or until golden and tender. Transfer to a platter and tent with foil to keep warm. Wipe out skillet and repeat with remaining 1½ teaspoons oil and remaining tomato slices.
8. Serve hot.